Quantcast

wlan0, wifi0 and wmaster0

Queenie de Melo
Hi All,

This may sound as  basic question to all... but iam confused.

What is the difference between all the three? when my wireless drivers
are loaded, i get 3 interfaces,

wlan0, wifi0 and wmaster0.
why are there 3 interface names...

and to use this interface ........again i create a VAP on which
interface and why??

Pl help!

Re: wlan0, wifi0 and wmaster0

Pavel Roskin
On 10/26/2010 07:45 AM, Queenie de Melo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This may sound as  basic question to all... but iam confused.
>
> What is the difference between all the three? when my wireless drivers
> are loaded, i get 3 interfaces,
>
> wlan0, wifi0 and wmaster0.
> why are there 3 interface names...

I believe you have some other wireless drivers loaded.  MadWifi would
not do it.  MadWifi would create wifi0, which is the master interface,
and ath0, with is a networking interface (a VAP in MadWifi terms).  ath0
should be used for everything other than creating and destroying VAPs by
wlanconfig.

> and to use this interface ........again i create a VAP on which
> interface and why??

This is described in MadWifi README.

If you want a more detailed reply, you should specify essential details,
such as versions of the kernel and MadWifi and which drivers you are
actually using.

Re: wlan0, wifi0 and wmaster0

Queenie de Melo
Hi Pavel

Thanks for your reply.

I read through the VAP concept :) thanks.

Using Kernel 2.6.27 and ath9k drivers for my atheros wifi chipset.

is it bec Iam using ath9k that i get three interface names? wifi0,
wlan0 and wmaster0 ??

--Queenie

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 3:29 AM, Pavel Roskin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/26/2010 07:45 AM, Queenie de Melo wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> This may sound as  basic question to all... but iam confused.
>>
>> What is the difference between all the three? when my wireless drivers
>> are loaded, i get 3 interfaces,
>>
>> wlan0, wifi0 and wmaster0.
>> why are there 3 interface names...
>
> I believe you have some other wireless drivers loaded.  MadWifi would not do
> it.  MadWifi would create wifi0, which is the master interface, and ath0,
> with is a networking interface (a VAP in MadWifi terms).  ath0 should be
> used for everything other than creating and destroying VAPs by wlanconfig.
>
>> and to use this interface ........again i create a VAP on which
>> interface and why??
>
> This is described in MadWifi README.
>
> If you want a more detailed reply, you should specify essential details,
> such as versions of the kernel and MadWifi and which drivers you are
> actually using.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Pavel Roskin

Re: wlan0, wifi0 and wmaster0

Pavel Roskin
On 10/26/2010 11:27 PM, Queenie de Melo wrote:

> Hi Pavel
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I read through the VAP concept :) thanks.
>
> Using Kernel 2.6.27 and ath9k drivers for my atheros wifi chipset.
>
> is it bec Iam using ath9k that i get three interface names? wifi0,
> wlan0 and wmaster0 ??

Maybe.  It's not the right list to discuss other drivers.  Also,
developers of ath9k are unlikely to be interested in answering any
questions about such an old kernel.