Quantcast

wifi0/ath0 not listed under ifconfig

ielix
Madwifi-users,

I have just installed slackware 13.1 on a samsung r580 with an atheros Ar 9285 card in it.

When installing I began by blacklisting the ath9k drivers and rebooting (The card seems to work prefectly using these drivers, however packet injection shows no performance).

I then downloaded the latest version of madwifi-ng using svn checkout http://svn.madwifi.org/trunk madwifi-ng.
make and make install complete without errors. However after issuing modprobe ath_pci, wifi0/ath0 are still not listed under ifconfig or iwconfig.

lsmod |grep ath lists ath_pci, wlan and ath_hal as having been installed properly. Howver I have noticed that they do not load during start up.
I have manually added ath_pci to the rc.modules file which seems to have fixed that problem however dmesg does not seem to list any reference to them.

I have tried installing both madwifi and madwifi-ng with the same results, I must admit that I am very new to Linux and I apologise in advance for any fundamental mistakes that I may have made.

I appreciate your time and hope you can help.

Re: wifi0/ath0 not listed under ifconfig

Tom Sharples
Instead of using modprobe, try to insmod the individual components (ath_hal, ath_pci, etc) one at a time, and look for error messages. That may give you the info you need.
[...]

Make an app they can't live without
http://p.sf.net/sfu/RIM-dev2dev

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 22:04 +0200, ielix wrote:
> Madwifi-users,
>
> I have just installed slackware 13.1 on a samsung r580 with an atheros
> Ar 9285 card in it.

AR9285 is not supported by MadWifi yet.  A patch was posted here:
http://madwifi-project.org/ticket/2391

I think you are much better off using ath9k for your hardware.  MadWifi
is not actively maintained anymore.

> I then downloaded the latest version of madwifi-ng using svn checkout
> http://svn.madwifi.org/trunk madwifi-ng.
> make and make install complete without errors. However after issuing
> modprobe ath_pci, wifi0/ath0 are still not listed under ifconfig or
> iwconfig.

That's because the PCI ID of AR9285 is not present in the ath_pci module
compiled from unpatched sources.

> lsmod |grep ath lists ath_pci, wlan and ath_hal as having been
> installed properly. Howver I have noticed that they do not load during
> start up.

The reason is probably the same.  You don't have hardware supported by
MadWifi on your system.