unable to put wireless card in monitor mode

unable to put wireless card in monitor mode

yuva raj-2
hi,

I am running Ubuntu 9.10. on Acer Aspire One with following card:

Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

I have madwifi installed. I am trying to put the wlan0 interface to monitor mode. For that I wanted to issue the following commands:

sudo wlanconfig wlan0 destroy
sudo wlanconfig create wlan1 wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
sudo wlan<x> up

But, my first try resulted in

laptop:~$ sudo wlanconfig wlan0 destroy
wlanconfig: ioctl: Operation not supported

Please suggest me necessary steps to put card in monitor mode.

Thanks in advance
uv.

Re: unable to put wireless card in monitor mode

Mohammad Abdelhadi-2

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM, yuva raj <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,

I am running Ubuntu 9.10. on Acer Aspire One with following card:

Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

I have madwifi installed. I am trying to put the wlan0 interface to monitor mode. For that I wanted to issue the following commands:

sudo wlanconfig wlan0 destroy
sudo wlanconfig create wlan1 wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
sudo wlan<x> up

But, my first try resulted in

laptop:~$ sudo wlanconfig wlan0 destroy
wlanconfig: ioctl: Operation not supported

Please suggest me necessary steps to put card in monitor mode.

Thanks in advance
uv.

You could try the following steps:

- sudo service network-manager stop
- sudo wlanconfig ath0 destroy
- sudo wlanconfig create ath0 wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
- sudo iwconfig ath0 channel x   # the channel that you want to monitor
- sudo iwconfig ath0 essid "...."  # the name of the network that you want to monitor
- sudo ifconfig ath0 up

Now your card should work in monitor mode..

Hope this helps.

Mohammad

Re: unable to put wireless card in monitor mode

Mohammad Abdelhadi-2

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 1:00 PM, yuva raj <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mohammad,

Thanks for replying.   But I am still having some trouble.

I did 'iwconfig' and got the wireless interface showing as 'wlan0'  I issue the commands

- sudo service network-manager stop
- sudo wlanconfig ath0 destroy

And for the following :

>sudo wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wlan0 wlanmode monitor
wlanconfig: ioctl: Operation not supported

Please help me solve it.

Thanks
uv

Hi,

First, make sure that the wireless tools is installed on your system (sudo apt-get install wireless-tools), then if you have the interface wlan0, you could try the following:

- sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
- sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
- sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel x
- sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid ......
- sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

If you have the interface ath, you could try the steps mentioned in my previous e-mail.

Hope this helps...

Regards
--
Mohammad

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 13:53 +0530, yuva raj wrote:

> hi,
>
> I am running Ubuntu 9.10. on Acer Aspire One with following card:
>
> Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless
> Network Adapter (rev 01)
>
> I have madwifi installed. I am trying to put the wlan0 interface to
> monitor mode. For that I wanted to issue the following commands:
>
> sudo wlanconfig wlan0 destroy
> sudo wlanconfig create wlan1 wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
> sudo wlan<x> up
>
> But, my first try resulted in
>
> laptop:~$ sudo wlanconfig wlan0 destroy
> wlanconfig: ioctl: Operation not supported
>
> Please suggest me necessary steps to put card in monitor mode.

I believe wlan0 was created by some other driver.  If you only have one
wireless device in the system, it must be ath5k.  If you insist on using
MadWifi, you should unload both drivers and then load MadWifi (the
module is called ath_pci).  You can use an option to create a monitor
mode interface on startup:

sudo rmmod ath5k
sudo rmmod ath_pci
sudo modprobe ath_pci autocreate=monitor

Now you can run iwconfig to make sure that the new interface is in
monitor mode.

Re: unable to put wireless card in monitor mode

yuva raj-2
Hi,

I am very much glad to see the replies.  Thanks a lot for the effort.  The commands mentioned by Mohammad worked.  The onboard card somehow didnot work.  I changed new Atheros card and it started working. these were the commands:

- sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
- sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
- sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel x
- sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid ......