how to activate 802.11a/h 5490-5710 frequencies for usage in europe (DFS, 27dBm) - PART 2

how to activate 802.11a/h 5490-5710 frequencies for usage in europe (DFS, 27dBm) - PART 2

Vertical Limit
Hey,

in addition to the problem I posted some hours ago (see below):

If I configure the regdomain to 0x30 (ETSI) (ath_info -w 0xe0080000 regdomain 0x30) and load ath_pci with

modprobe ath_pci countrycode=276

I am loosing my wifi0 and wifi1 devices. My iwconfig output only shows eth0 and lo.

If I configure the regdomain to 0x00 and load ath_pci with

modprobe ath_pci countrycode=276

iwconfig shows wifi0 and wifi1 like expected but I am (I guess because of regdomain 0x00) only able to set the txpower to 0dBm (=1mW).

So again my question: How can I configure my modules/driver in a way that they are configurable for the following frequency ranges:

2402-2482 20dBm
5170-5250 20dBm no-outdoor
5250-5330 20dBm no-outdoor, dfs
5490-5710 27dBm dfs

Most important for me is the frequency band 5490-5710 at a txpower of 27dBm!

Thx a lot.
vertlim

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this list so hopefully this is the right place for my questions :)

For my project I have to use 802.11a/h outdoor with high transmission power. As I am from Europe I am allowed to use the frequency range 5490-5720 with a maximum EIRP of 27dBm if DFS is supported. I'm developing on an ALIX board (Voyage OS, kernel 2.6.30) equipped with two Atheros AR5213A based WiFi modules. The output of lspci -v:

00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor (rev 01)
Subsystem: Wistron NeWeb Corp. CM9 Wireless a/b/g MiniPCI Adapter
Memory at e0080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Kernel driver in use: ath_pci
Kernel modules: ath5k, ath_pci

Initially I started using the ath5k driver. But if I am not wrong it doesn't support Radar Detection/DFS until now!? As a consequence I switched back to madwifi.

I checked out the madwifi-dfs branch (r4149, 12.10.2011), compiled and installed it. With

ath_info -w 0xe0080000 regdomain 0x30

I wrote the ETSI regdomain (0x30) and I set the countrycode to germany (276) when executing modprobe. You can find the output of ath_info at the end of this mail.

Nevertheless, if I list the available frequencies with iwlist ath1 freq I dont get the desired frequency band of 5490-5710:

ath1      35 channels in total; available frequencies :
          Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
          Channel 02 : 2.417 GHz
          Channel 03 : 2.422 GHz
          Channel 04 : 2.427 GHz
          Channel 05 : 2.432 GHz
          Channel 06 : 2.437 GHz
          Channel 07 : 2.442 GHz
          Channel 08 : 2.447 GHz
          Channel 09 : 2.452 GHz
          Channel 10 : 2.457 GHz
          Channel 11 : 2.462 GHz
          Channel 12 : 2.467 GHz
          Channel 13 : 2.472 GHz
          Channel 36 : 5.18 GHz
          Channel 40 : 5.2 GHz
          Channel 44 : 5.22 GHz
          Channel 48 : 5.24 GHz
          Channel 52 : 5.26 GHz
          Channel 56 : 5.28 GHz
          Channel 60 : 5.3 GHz
          Channel 64 : 5.32 GHz
          Current Frequency:5.32 GHz (Channel 64)

I am trying this now for a long time and I really have no idea how to activate the missing frequencies to be allowed to use up to 27dBm.

greetings
vertlim