Quantcast

Using tcpdump to filter beacons

Xiaowei
Hi all,

I'm using tcpdump to filter beacons. Here are the settings:
Ubuntu 10.04,
madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r4103-20100110,
Atheros AR5001X+ wireless card,

I set the wireless interface (ath0) to work in monitor mode, and on the same channel as the access point(channel 6):
sudo iwconfig ath0 channel 6. (Also tried frequency: sudo iwconfig ath0 freq 2.437G)

Then when I use the following command to capture beacons:
sudo tcpdump -i ath0 -ne link[25]=0x80
it takes much longer time than expected. The access point is broadcasting beacons in default rate 100ms, but it takes almost 20 minutes to collect 200 beacons.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
Sean