Trying to use WLAN 802.11n with a embedded Linux System for Diploma-Thesis

Trying to use WLAN 802.11n with a embedded Linux System for Diploma-Thesis

sHittmeyer
Hello,
due to my Diploma-Thesis I'm trying to build a embedded System using WLAN.
The target is the biggest throughput possible. This is why I actually
focus on 802.11n Draft because of the huge possible throughput of
300Mbit/s (theoretical).

The hardware will be a embedded-controller (µC) of Freescale named
Coldfire V4. The advantage of this core is the included PCI bus.
However  on this controller will be a embedded Linux running.

This is why I searched for WLAN chips supported by Linux, and found the
MadWifi driver for artheros chips. On www.madwifi.org I found a list of
supported PCI-Cards which have 802.11n and chose the D-Link DWA-547.
Link:
http://www.d-link.de/?go=gNTyP9CgrdFOIC4AStFCF834mptYKO9ZTdvhLPG3yV3oVo94j6ltbNlwaaFp6DQoHDrpySdK/4gBA9nu
(only in German, sorry for that)

On a Ubuntu System with Kernel 2.6.24.19 I already tried out the card
and the driver (I still wait for the hardware). After some
newbie-problems I managed to establish a Ad-hoc network to a Windows-PC
with the same D-Link DWA-547 PCI-WLAN-Card, but only in 11g and 11a mode.

Today I read a article in the "LinuxMagazin" which sais that the madwifi
driver possibly won't support Draft N ...

Is it possible to make the card working in 802.11n with the Madwifi driver?
Is a Ad-hoc network with Draft N possible at all?
Maybe someone has other hints/tricks or incitations on solving the problem?
Even other Hardware (PCI-Cards only) could be a suitable sollution.

regards
Stefan  Hittmeyer

Re: Trying to use WLAN 802.11n with a embedded Linux System for Diploma-Thesis

Michael Renzmann-4
Hi.

sHittmeyer wrote:
> Today I read a article in the "LinuxMagazin" which sais that the madwifi
> driver possibly won't support Draft N ...

Correct.

> Is it possible to make the card working in 802.11n with the Madwifi
> driver?

Currently there is no 11n support available in MadWifi. Changing this is
considered in [1].
Alternatively you might want to take a look at the recently released
driver ath9k [2], for which a separate mailing list exists at [3].
However, please note that ath9k is in a very early stage at this time.

Bye, Mike

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.madwifi.devel/6584
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/18019
[3] http://lists.ath9k.org/

Re: Trying to use WLAN 802.11n with a embedded Linux System for Diploma-Thesis

Chr-2
On Monday 21 July 2008 14:14:16 sHittmeyer wrote:
> Hello,
> due to my Diploma-Thesis I'm trying to build a embedded System using WLAN.
> The target is the biggest throughput possible. This is why I actually
> focus on 802.11n Draft because of the huge possible throughput of
> 300Mbit/s (theoretical).
That's ~70-76 Mbit/s (practical) and maybe a bit more If you are in a lab with
special shielding or if you're bursting in just one direction...
Anyway that's "your business" to find it out. ;-)

> The hardware will be a embedded-controller (µC) of Freescale named
> Coldfire V4. The advantage of this core is the included PCI bus.
> However  on this controller will be a embedded Linux running.
Oh, I think that chip is maybe a bit too slow to get the maximum throughput...
Heck most CPUs in these 802.11n routers are between 300 and 600mhz!

> This is why I searched for WLAN chips supported by Linux, and found the
> MadWifi driver for artheros chips. On www.madwifi.org I found a list of
> supported PCI-Cards which have 802.11n and chose the D-Link DWA-547.
> Link:
> http://www.d-link.de/?go=gNTyP9CgrdFOIC4AStFCF834mptYKO9ZTdvhLPG3yV3oVo94j6
>ltbNlwaaFp6DQoHDrpySdK/4gBA9nu (only in German, sorry for that)
>
> On a Ubuntu System with Kernel 2.6.24.19 I already tried out the card
> and the driver (I still wait for the hardware). After some
> newbie-problems I managed to establish a Ad-hoc network to a Windows-PC
> with the same D-Link DWA-547 PCI-WLAN-Card, but only in 11g and 11a mode.
What? 11a, that's not possible! Your card doesn't have a RF5133 so no 5Ghz.
BTW: The DWA-547 is Atheros first gen 802.11n chip and has
been "replaced" (because they are buggy!) by the buggier AR9160 and AR9280
chips...

Don't do that.. buy some proper equipment for your diploma!
e.g Marvell's TopDog & intels IWL5000 series does already
up to 450mbit/s and the final 802.11n standard could go all
the way up to 600mbit/s..

> Today I read a article in the "LinuxMagazin" which sais that the madwifi
> driver possibly won't support Draft N ...

Well, that's about time... as the madwifi driver will be dropped in the future
and replaced by ath5k.

> Is it possible to make the card working in 802.11n with the Madwifi driver?
> Is a Ad-hoc network with Draft N possible at all?
> Maybe someone has other hints/tricks or incitations on solving the problem?
> Even other Hardware (PCI-Cards only) could be a suitable sollution.

Well, it is... but you have to buy a very pricy (not just a few thousands $$$)
licence from Atheros and sign an NDA...

However, there is an alternative:
check out the wireless-dev archieves and take a look
at the "ath9k driver" (you may have to ask google for details).
It's probably what you are looking for, but I have to warn you
the driver was "released" yesterday for review and has bugs.
And another thing: For now, the ath9k driver only works in
station/managed mode for now, so you'll need an AP with 802.11n...

Good Luck!