Toshiba/Atheros user

John Page
Hello

Can someone help me with my attempt to use use the Madwifi driver with
the Atheros AR 5418/5008 wireless card?
 (Background is:)
The Toshiba laptop has the AMD Turion X86_64 processor with open SUSE
Linux ver.11.0 .
I have downloaded the tarball madwifi-0.9.4, unpacked and followed the
'newbie - HOWTO user guide carefully but after (now!) 3 attempts - which
included uninstalls and cleanups,it still refuses to show an ath_pci
module.
I have tried to "modprobe" it but of course,with the result -  'module
does not exist'.
I'm probably doing (or NOT doing) something but I'm new to this and
haven't got a clue what to do now.
Someone please help!
Thanks
John Page

Re: Toshiba/Atheros user

Pavel Roskin
On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:54 -0400, John Page wrote:

> Hello
>
> Can someone help me with my attempt to use use the Madwifi driver with
> the Atheros AR 5418/5008 wireless card?
>  (Background is:)
> The Toshiba laptop has the AMD Turion X86_64 processor with open SUSE
> Linux ver.11.0 .
> I have downloaded the tarball madwifi-0.9.4, unpacked and followed the
> 'newbie - HOWTO user guide carefully but after (now!) 3 attempts - which
> included uninstalls and cleanups,it still refuses to show an ath_pci
> module.
> I have tried to "modprobe" it but of course,with the result -  'module
> does not exist'.

The most obvious suspect if that you are compiling against the kernel
sources that mismatch the kernel you are running.  For instance, your
kernel and the corresponding sources were updated, but you didn't
reboot.

"uname -a" will show the version of the kernel you are running.  The
version of the kernel you are compiling MadWifi for will be shown in the
"make install" output.

Another problem you are going to have with MadWifi 0.9.4 is that it
doesn't support your hardware.  You need to use the latest snapshot from
http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-trunk/