Setup Access Point on Fedora 6

Miklos Christine
Hi,

I've been trying to setup an access point on Fedora 6 using the latest Madwifi release (0.9.4).

Here are the commands:

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
ifconfig ath0 inet 1.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
iwconfig ath0 essid MY_AP
iwconfig ath0 channel 6

I'm using a Desktop to set this up, and it has an Atheros AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
When I type iwconfig ath0:

Mode: Master     Frequency: 2.417 GHz
Shows the correct ESSID.

But when I try to use my laptop to connect to it, it does not work.
Are there some more parameters that I need to set?

I've read everything on the Madwifi site about how to setup an access point, but it doesn't do so on Fedora 6,
and it has documentation for Ubuntu, not Fedora.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Setup Access Point on Fedora 6

Pavel Roskin
On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 12:56 -0700, Miklos Christine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to setup an access point on Fedora 6 using the latest
> Madwifi release (0.9.4).
>
> Here are the commands:
>
> wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap

Please make sure that there is no ath0 already.  You may want to use
"autocreate=ap" parameter to skip this step:

modprobe ath_pci autocreate=ap

> ifconfig ath0 inet 1.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> iwconfig ath0 essid MY_AP
> iwconfig ath0 channel 6
>
> I'm using a Desktop to set this up, and it has an Atheros AR5212
> 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
> When I type iwconfig ath0:
>
> Mode: Master     Frequency: 2.417 GHz
> Shows the correct ESSID.

But the frequency is incorrect.  2.417 GHz is channel 2.  Maybe you
should set essid and channel before bringing the interface up.

It would be better if you provide the complete output, so that everybody
can look what can be wrong in your setup.

> But when I try to use my laptop to connect to it, it does not work.

How does it fail?  Do you see the beacons?  Do you see the AP in the
scan results?  Does the laptop associate?

> Are there some more parameters that I need to set?

No, if all you want is a simple AP with no encryption.

> I've read everything on the Madwifi site about how to setup an access
> point, but it doesn't do so on Fedora 6,
> and it has documentation for Ubuntu, not Fedora.

Please be specific.  The documentation should not be for Ubuntu only.
If you give the URL of the problematic page, somebody can fix it.