Re: madwifi driver update plan on Debian

Re: madwifi driver update plan on Debian

Punky Tse
Hi Kel,

I see you have uploaded r3698 version.  I will test it later on.

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/m/madwifi/madwifi_0.9.4+r3698.20080604.hal20080528-1/changelog

Thank you for your effort.

Regards,
Punky

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Kel Modderman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Punky,
>
> On Tuesday 24 June 2008 11:52:54 Punky wrote:
>> Kel and all,
>>
>> I would like to see if there is a plan out there to update madwifi
>> driver on Debian anytime soon.  Right now, the latest madwifi driver
>> version in Debian is 0.9.4-rc2 [1] with some additional patches.  I am
>> looking for an update of the madwifi driver in Debian since the
>> testing repository will go into freeze very soon [2] for lenny
>> release.
>
> The current packages are equivalent to the current "stable" Madwifi upstream
> release.
>

>> [1] http://packages.debian.org/lenny/madwifi-source
>> [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/06/msg00000.html
>> --
>
> It is true, the Debian archive freeze is coming closer. ath5k is not functional
> enough for people's daily use on the most part, so they will be looking to
> Madwifi to provide wireless networking support for them.
>
> Most people with new-ish hardware will find the Debian madwifi packages based
> on 0.9.4 don't provide support for them, and in fact cause many new users grief
> when they attempt to use them first, instead of finding snapshots.madwifi.org
> where they can find a newer driver version to install outside of their package
> manager's safety and convenience.
>
> What must also be considered, is that whatever makes it into Debian Lenny is
> based on a branch or version of Madwifi with a clear reference point, so that
> identified security issues can be fixed 6, 12, 18 months from now, ideally by
> cherry picking a patch commited to madwifi.org SVN. Debian Etch saw two
> updates of the madwifi software for security reasons, and these are not taken
> care of by the Debian Security Team, as they do not give a crap about non-free,
> but the pkg-madwifi maintenance group.
>
> In addition to the points already raised, we have to look at the state of Madwifi
> upstream:
>  * 3 branches with different HAL versions (0.9.4, trunk, 0.10.5.6)
>  * trunk differs greatly to stable branch (codebase and HAL)
>  * semi-official announcement of new HAL provider
>
> Advice as to which madwifi codebase would be the best long term choice for
> Debian stable is welcome.
>
> As a side note, Matthew W.S.Bell, should be assuming an active role in debian
> madwifi maintenance in the near future, with myself fading away into distant
> past.
>
> Thanks, Kel.

Punky

P U N K N ! X . c o m
Technology + Lifestyle
(http://www.punknix.com)

Voyage Solutions (http://solution.voyage.hk)
* Embedded Solutions and Systems
 - Mesh Networking, Captive Portal, IP Surveillance, VoIP/PBX
 - Network Engineering, Development Platform and Consultation

Re: madwifi driver update plan on Debian

Kel Modderman
On Thursday 17 July 2008 16:23:33 Punky wrote:
> Hi Kel,
>
> I see you have uploaded r3698 version.  I will test it later on.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/m/madwifi/madwifi_0.9.4+r3698.20080604.hal20080528-1/changelog
>
> Thank you for your effort.

Well, it is there, and I'll probably beg for another update from whatever
upstream Madwifi branch provides an equal to or better than hardware support
spectrum then 0.10.5.6 HAL currently does.

Sadly, the Debian archive goes into freeze soon, and I don't think Madwifi will
have a stable release at that time, which would please most people for
the next 12 - 24 months, or even compile against current Linux version.

Thanks, Kel.

Re: madwifi driver update plan on Debian

Pavel Roskin
On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 17:13 +1000, Kel Modderman wrote:

> On Thursday 17 July 2008 16:23:33 Punky wrote:
> > Hi Kel,
> >
> > I see you have uploaded r3698 version.  I will test it later on.
> >
> > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/m/madwifi/madwifi_0.9.4+r3698.20080604.hal20080528-1/changelog
> >
> > Thank you for your effort.
>
> Well, it is there, and I'll probably beg for another update from whatever
> upstream Madwifi branch provides an equal to or better than hardware support
> spectrum then 0.10.5.6 HAL currently does.
>
> Sadly, the Debian archive goes into freeze soon, and I don't think Madwifi will
> have a stable release at that time, which would please most people for
> the next 12 - 24 months, or even compile against current Linux version.

We can make 0.9.4.1 release off the 0.9.4 branch.  I could merge
whatever is needed to support Linux 2.6.27.  We are days away from
2.6.27-rc1, whcih should finalize the API changes.

Users of AR5007 will use ath5k from compat-wireless.  Users of AR5008
will have to use MadWifi trunk for now.  But it doesn't seem that AR5008
is very widespread, judging by the reports, at least compared to AR5007.

Re: madwifi driver update plan on Debian

Kel Modderman
Hi Pavel, Punky,

On Saturday 19 July 2008 08:13:21 Pavel Roskin wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 17:13 +1000, Kel Modderman wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 July 2008 16:23:33 Punky wrote:
> > > Hi Kel,
> > >
> > > I see you have uploaded r3698 version.  I will test it later on.
> > >
> > > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/m/madwifi/madwifi_0.9.4+r3698.20080604.hal20080528-1/changelog
> > >
> > > Thank you for your effort.
> >
> > Well, it is there, and I'll probably beg for another update from whatever
> > upstream Madwifi branch provides an equal to or better than hardware support
> > spectrum then 0.10.5.6 HAL currently does.
> >
> > Sadly, the Debian archive goes into freeze soon, and I don't think Madwifi will
> > have a stable release at that time, which would please most people for
> > the next 12 - 24 months, or even compile against current Linux version.
>
> We can make 0.9.4.1 release off the 0.9.4 branch.  I could merge
> whatever is needed to support Linux 2.6.27.  We are days away from
> 2.6.27-rc1, whcih should finalize the API changes.

It would be nice to have a released version of madwifi that compiles with
the recent Linux 2.6.26 release.

> Users of AR5007 will use ath5k from compat-wireless.  Users of AR5008
> will have to use MadWifi trunk for now.  But it doesn't seem that AR5008
> is very widespread, judging by the reports, at least compared to AR5007.

I put a snapshot of 0.10.5.6 branch in Debian recently and the eeepc team
rejoiced, however 3 or 4 other people immediately struck problems at
installation and run time (bugs below). Am going to revert back to the 0.9.4
branch.

http://bugs.debian.org/491731
http://bugs.debian.org/491738
http://bugs.debian.org/492251