Quantcast

Question about priority transmission queues in code level.

Question about priority transmission queues in code level.

leolee0718
I am doing a project about madwifi recently, something in packet QOS in mac level.

I want to schedule the packet with my own new algorithm, so I go through the code about packet transmission in madwifi. Here comes a question that I have found madwifi had set up 4 priority queues to buf data from upper layer, but I donot find the selecting mechanism when the packet being send out.

In ath_tx_start packet txq has been select, then it calls ath_tx_txqaddbuf to insert a buffer on a txq. As QOS has set up packet with higher priority should be sent firstly, but I did not see any codes doing these mechanism.

As I am newbie to driver programming, need some helps of you guys.

Any suggestions to my problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Leo

Re: Question about priority transmission queues in codelevel.

Wright, Brett
The driver (madwifi) just adds packets to the appropriate queue.
It is the Atheros chip that actually de-queues and transmits from the 4
queues, so you have no control over this from the driver...

------

http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=58041391&iu=/4140/ostg.clk
> trk

Re: Question about priority transmission queues in codelevel.

leolee0718
Hi Brett,

Thanks for your email.

What I want to do in my project is schedule the outgoing and receiving packet with my own algorithm in mac layer. I want to schedule packet according to each VAP. That was easy I can map my own queue according to the source mac address of each packet.

Problem is that, my own algorithm need some information that in lower layer, such as when is the packet transmitted from the NIC, and when I receive it. Because I want to modify the channel airtime resources for each VAP. It seems I cannot get the real transmission time in this situation, so the queuing delay will be a problem in my own algorithm... Is there any API of madwifi to know when is the packet being sent out or received?

Thanks!

Leo