Perfect frame transmission time calculation in SampleRate (../ath_rate/sample.c)

Perfect frame transmission time calculation in SampleRate (../ath_rate/sample.c)

Naeem Khademi
Hi

maybe someone here knows the answer:

I have an ambiguity about the way "perfect frame transmission time" is calculated in SampleRate rate adaptation code (ath_rate/sample.c). The precise calculation of perfect tx_time is very crucial for SampleRate's operation however it seems something is missing here.

1) Let's assume a scenario of 1500-bytes frame transmission with 802.11g rate=54Mbps. /proc/net/madwifi/ath0/ratestats_1600 always shows the "perfect" tx_time as 644 us while in practice it should be something around 322 us based on analysis in: http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~westall/851/802.11/802_CSMA_CA.pdf. It's almost double! even putting b/g parameters won't make it equal to 644 us.

2) I tried to look in the code to see if this is doubled for all rates (e.g. similar to what you guys have done for the turbo-mode rates using 2x for instance) but couldn't find anything. In fact for the rates of 1~11 Mbps it's almost close to the tx_time calculations in original J. Bicket's proposal (http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/34116) but still not exactly the same!

3) looking at sample.c everything seems to be correctly taken into consideration except:

A)  It seems the big portion of 644 us comes out of ath_hal_computetxtime(sc->sc_ah, rt, length, rix, AH_TRUE); which is (maybe?) exported by HAL? because the rest of the values are put correctly (SIFS, DIFS and slot-time). Any idea?

B) It's very strange the way contention window (cw) is taken into consideration. First it assumes that

unsigned int cw = WIFI_CW_MIN;

Shouldn't it be a random value for first tx attempt? and not always the CW_MIN? Secondly, the below code in sample.c adds the back-off period to the tt, but cw+1 is doubled first and then halved?! and why the "doubled value of cw" is compared to CW_MAX?

for (x = 0; x <= short_retries + long_retries; x++) {
cw = MIN(WIFI_CW_MAX, (cw + 1) * 2);
tt += (t_slot * cw / 2);
}
return tt;

To clarify assume that CW_MIN=4,CW_MAX=10, and we have had 1 tx and 1 retry and let's just for now assume that cw=CW_MIN=4 slots. In that case, it should be cw_first_tx=5 slots, cw_retry=min(10,10)=10 slots but the above code calculates it as cw_first_tx=5 slots, cw_retry=5. I think the code should be:

for (x = 0; x <= short_retries + long_retries; x++) {
cw = MIN(WIFI_CW_MAX, cw );
tt += (t_slot * (cw+1) );
}
return tt;

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4) It's not clear if ratestats_1600 table calculates the frame sizes from 250~1600 bytes with the same measure? I wonder sending thousands of 255-bytes frames at 6 Mbps won't change the tx_time in benefit of them compare to few 1500-bytes frames at 54 Mbps? is framelen taken into account when exporting the rate table? to calculate how would tx_time become if those 250-bytes frames were 1600-bytes frames and then exporting them to rate table?

Cheers,
Naeem