Message forwarding between two interfaces

Message forwarding between two interfaces

Wang Liu
Dear All,
         I am working to build a ad-hoc network which consists of 4
Alix2D2 (Voyage-one 0.7 installed) boards. Each Alix2D2 board is
equipped with two CM9 wireless cards, one is working under Access
Point mode, the other one is working under Adhoc mode. I create two
interfaces to each other ath0 ath1, my question is how could I do if I
want forwarding message between these two interfaces.

Re: Message forwarding between two interfaces

Pavel Roskin
On 07/06/2011 03:20 PM, Wang Liu wrote:
> Dear All,
>           I am working to build a ad-hoc network which consists of 4
> Alix2D2 (Voyage-one 0.7 installed) boards. Each Alix2D2 board is
> equipped with two CM9 wireless cards, one is working under Access
> Point mode, the other one is working under Adhoc mode. I create two
> interfaces to each other ath0 ath1, my question is how could I do if I
> want forwarding message between these two interfaces.

Please note that this mailing list is about one particular driver, not
about wireless networking in general.  You may get better responses if
you ask in a better place.

The ad-hoc interface doesn't support bridging, and that's a fundamental
limitation on 802.11 protocol.  It can only be circumvented by using WDS
frames with 4 addresses, but this is not standard.  All stations would
have to support it.

Since bridging is impossible, routing appears to be the only option.