Quantcast

Madwifi-0.9.4-r4126-20100324: Kernel Panic in station evereytime after approx 30 minutes

Madwifi-0.9.4-r4126-20100324: Kernel Panic in station evereytime after approx 30 minutes

R.Mohan
Dear All,

My application is a point to point wireless link bridging two wired ports.

One end of the link operates as a Master and other is a Station. A
transparent bridge ot each end connects eth0 and ath0

In have added code in madwifi ieee80211_hardstart & ieee80211_deliver_data

The added code are filters that look at the data and based on the filter
setup decides to forward the skb or drop it completely.

I had to add the filter in the madwifi code as I do not have access to the
box on the eth0.

This code has been running fine for the last six months.

Recently, I added some more rules to the filters.

With these changes the link works perfeectly fine for approximatly 30
minutes.

After 30 minutes everytime the Station's kernel panics and the system
reboots. The link is reestablished once again.
This keeps repeating.

There is no problem with the Master side of the link.

I have no clue as to why this happens.

Attached is the dump from the kernel. The stack trace in the kernel dump is
always at the very same

Any help or leads to fix the problem are welcome

Thanks in advance

R.Mohan

kernal panic.txt (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Madwifi-0.9.4-r4126-20100324: Kernel Panic in station evereytime after approx 30 minutes

Pavel Roskin
Quoting "R.Mohan" <[hidden email]>:

> Attached is the dump from the kernel. The stack trace in the kernel dump is
> always at the very same

It's hard to help you if you are using a modified snapshot that is
more than a year old.  Maybe you could at least use the current
snapshot?

There is a lot of documentation how to debug kernel code.  If your
kernel is compiled with debug information, you can do this:

gdb wlan.ko
li *(ieee80211_input+0x1bc)

That should show you the line where the oops is happening.

The next step is to add printk() statements around that place to see
where exactly the crash happens.  Print all the data that is used by
the code, and then you should be able to see what is going wrong.

Re: Madwifi-0.9.4-r4126-20100324: Kernel Panic instation evereytime after approx 30 minutes

R.Mohan
Dear Pavel Roskin,

I have changed my point to point link configuration from AP<==>STN to WDS<==>WDS.
This seems to be working. No panic even after 24 hours.

I have NOT made any changes in my code.

The downside of this is that WDS will not scan and pick a quite channel at startup.
Also I have to specify the MAC address of the remote.

I will live with WDS link for now and return to figuring out the panic later.

Best regards

R.Mohan