MadWiFi/openSUSE 11.0 RPM Conflict

Nathaniel Dube-3

Re: MadWiFi/openSUSE 11.0 RPM Conflict

Pavel Roskin
Quoting Nathaniel Dube <[hidden email]>:

> The madwifi openSUSE 11.0 RPM's from the madwifi site aren't compatible with
> the kernel.  I ended up doing a rpmbuild --rebuild
> madwifi-0.9.4-1.src.rpm and
> making my own.  There is also a kernel update.  So if you decide to update
> your suse repo I'd suggest building a RPM for the default kernel and another
> for the kernel update.  Here's the name of the packages I have if you want to
> compare them to the ones you have on your site.

I think the MadWifi team should not be in the business of keeping
up-to-date packages for any distros.  The packages are provided as a
courtesy.  Recompiling them for updated kernels would take time from
development and other tasks.  Taking binary packages from others would
be a significant security risk.

Recompiling the source package is exactly the right thing to do.  I
suggest that we remove all binary packages from the site.

Re: MadWiFi/openSUSE 11.0 RPM Conflict

Michael Renzmann-4
Hi.

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> I think the MadWifi team should not be in the business of keeping
> up-to-date packages for any distros.

Ack.

> Recompiling them for updated kernels would take time from
> development and other tasks.

True. However, we're not the ones who build these packages, we get them
from the package maintainer who is a Novell/SuSE employee. The only action
that currently is required from our side is to unpack the tarball we get
and use the result to replace the old files in that repository.

Providing a solution that allows the package maintainer to upload changes
himself is high up on my todo list.

Bye, Mike