Quantcast

How to set up an AP and a station on Ubuntu in the interfaces file

How to set up an AP and a station on Ubuntu in the interfaces file

drug-store@gmx.de
Hi all
I'd like to have a laptop (with one wifi-adapter) working as an AP to
distribute the wifi connection of another AP (lets call it MAINWLAN). So
the laptop is connected via wifi to MAINWLAN and another laptop can
connect to it to get to the internet.
I managed to create an AP automatically at bootup by making the
following entrys in the interfaces file:

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet static
  pre-up wlanconfig ath0 destroy ||true
  pre-up wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
wireless-essid MYWIFI
wireless-channel 1
address 10.0.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
pre-up ifconfig ath0 down
pre-up ifconfig ath0 up
pre-up ifconfig ath0 down
pre-up ifconfig ath0 up

I'm very new in using Linux, but it worked and i could connect with
another laptop to the MYWIFI AP.
Next step should be to create ath1 as station and connect to MAINWLAN.
First I stopped the automatic creation in etc/modprobe.d/madwifi -->
optinons ath_pci autocreate=none
Now I tried several things in interfaces, but nothing worked. I always
get "failed to bring up ath1".

Can someone please tell me what I have to do to get this working?
Thank you very much for helping me!
regards
Michael