Help with PePwave Surf

Jason Harper-2-3
I'm trying to rescue a PePwave Surf 200BG, a Linux/madwifi-based
device typically used for accessing city-wide WiFi services.  The
generic version of this device is capable of connecting to arbitrary
802.11b/g wireless networks, however the one I have is an EarthLink
version that was intended for one of their former WiFi offerings, and
is apparently incapable of connecting to anything else.  (Or even
seeing anything else; the channel scan does not show ANYTHING here,
even though there are about 10 wireless networks visible from this
point.)  Now that EarthLink is out of the WiFi business, there's
going to be a lot of these units floating around - it would be a
shame for them to simply go to waste.

The hardware is definitely working, and capable of connecting to
other networks.  I can pull the wireless card out of the Surf (it's a
standard Mini PCI card), put it in an old laptop I have with a
compatible slot, and successfully scan & connect with it.

I'm looking for some help in figuring out just how the device is
being limited to EarthLink access points, in hopes of removing that
restriction.  I'm able to SSH into the unit as root, and there appear
to be a full set of wireless tools installed (iwconfig, iwpriv,
iwlist, etc.).  The wireless interface is up, and is configured
correctly as far as I can tell, but even "iwlist scan" shows nothing
at all as being accessible.

Is there some command or ioctl that tells madwifi to only acknowledge
the existence of APs with MAC addresses in a certain range?  If not,
I assume that the limitation is hard-coded into the included version
of madwifi - which of the numerous modules would such a change likely
to be in, so I can try replacing that module with a clean copy?  (I
haven't yet figured out how to load a completely new firmware image,
so suggestions along the lines of "install OpenWRT" are not currently
practical.)
      Jason Harper

Re: Help with PePwave Surf

hong zhang

> I'm trying to rescue a PePwave Surf 200BG, a
> Linux/madwifi-based
> device typically used for accessing city-wide WiFi
> services.  The
> generic version of this device is capable of connecting to
> arbitrary
> 802.11b/g wireless networks, however the one I have is an
> EarthLink
> version that was intended for one of their former WiFi
> offerings, and
> is apparently incapable of connecting to anything else.
> (Or even
> seeing anything else; the channel scan does not show
> ANYTHING here,
> even though there are about 10 wireless networks visible
> from this
> point.)  Now that EarthLink is out of the WiFi business,
> there's
> going to be a lot of these units floating around - it would
> be a
> shame for them to simply go to waste.
>
> The hardware is definitely working, and capable of
> connecting to
> other networks.  I can pull the wireless card out of the
> Surf (it's a
> standard Mini PCI card), put it in an old laptop I have
> with a
> compatible slot, and successfully scan & connect with
> it.

If your wireless is working in your old laptop and does not work right in new laptop. The problem is your new system not wifi card.

> I'm looking for some help in figuring out just how the
> device is
> being limited to EarthLink access points, in hopes of
> removing that
> restriction.  I'm able to SSH into the unit as root,
> and there appear
> to be a full set of wireless tools installed (iwconfig,
> iwpriv,
> iwlist, etc.).  The wireless interface is up, and is
> configured
> correctly as far as I can tell, but even "iwlist
> scan" shows nothing
> at all as being accessible.
>
> Is there some command or ioctl that tells madwifi to only
> acknowledge
> the existence of APs with MAC addresses in a certain range?
>  If not,
> I assume that the limitation is hard-coded into the
> included version
> of madwifi - which of the numerous modules would such a
> change likely
> to be in, so I can try replacing that module with a clean
> copy?  (I
> haven't yet figured out how to load a completely new
> firmware image,
> so suggestions along the lines of "install
> OpenWRT" are not currently
> practical.)
>       Jason Harper

> Apps built with the Adobe(R) Flex(R) framework and Flex
> Builder(TM) are
> powering Web 2.0 with engaging, cross-platform
> capabilities. Quickly and
> easily build your RIAs with Flex Builder, the
> Eclipse(TM)based development
> software that enables intelligent coding and step-through
> debugging.
> Download the free 60 day trial.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/www-adobe-com

Re: Help with PePwave Surf

shiekh
To gain control of the Pepwave Surf with Earthlink firmware one needs to login to the unit as operator at

192.168.20.1/op

user: admin
password: pep888

One can now change the SSID from the Earthlink default

The Earthlink firmware stops at 6.5.41 and I am having trouble disabling the DHCP server; and it will not update to the PepWave 6.5.42 version (invalid or corrupt file). Anyone know how I might make the update?

Re: Help with PePwave Surf

shiekh
I think I may have discovered a way

The free "InControl" management software by PepWave is capable of a 'Forced Update' and so might be able to do the desired update.

Is there anyone out there that is using this software and so might be able to help me out?

Re: Help with PePwave Surf

Pavel Roskin
On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 17:34 -0800, shiekh wrote:
> I think I may have discovered a way
>
> The free "InControl" management software by PepWave is capable of a 'Forced
> Update' and so might be able to do the desired update.
>
> Is there anyone out there that is using this software and so might be able
> to help me out?

I'm afraid you are posting to a wrong list.  Your questions have nothing
to do with MadWifi.