HAL 0.10.5.6 and Abit AirPace -> transmit timed out

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

HAL 0.10.5.6 and Abit AirPace -> transmit timed out

Paul Hartman
Hi,

I have an Abit AirPace PCI-E x1 desktop wifi card running on an x64
Gentoo (using linux kernel 2.6.25). My experience with the new HAL
0.10.5.6 branch is that it works great for a while, but it eventually
"dies" after several hours, sometimes working for up to a couple days
(maybe it is related to the amount of traffic?). The rest of my other
wifi devices on the network are not disconnected, so it seems to be
isolated to this machine.

When it "dies", I get this error in my syslog repeatedly:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: wifi0: transmit timed out

I have not noticed this message appearing during normal operation;
only when it is "dead".

Shutting down the interface, unloading and re-loading all related
madwifi modules will bring it back up as normal again.

Is there anything I can do to either resolve this problem or obtain
more details about what is happening when the failure occurs? Thanks
in advance for any suggestions!

Paul

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Madwifi-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/madwifi-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HAL 0.10.5.6 and Abit AirPace -> transmit timed out

Pavel Roskin
On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 11:28 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an Abit AirPace PCI-E x1 desktop wifi card running on an x64
> Gentoo (using linux kernel 2.6.25). My experience with the new HAL
> 0.10.5.6 branch is that it works great for a while, but it eventually
> "dies" after several hours, sometimes working for up to a couple days
> (maybe it is related to the amount of traffic?). The rest of my other
> wifi devices on the network are not disconnected, so it seems to be
> isolated to this machine.
>
> When it "dies", I get this error in my syslog repeatedly:

Please, don't rely on syslog for kernel messages.  Use dmesg, which
takes messages from the kernel and doesn't omit any debug information.

> NETDEV WATCHDOG: wifi0: transmit timed out

What mode are you using?  What's the message before that?  Maybe you
have a stuck beacon problem?  Search for "transmit timed out" on
madwifi.org - there are some tickets mentioning it.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Madwifi-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/madwifi-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HAL 0.10.5.6 and Abit AirPace -> transmit timed out

Paul Hartman
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Pavel Roskin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 11:28 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an Abit AirPace PCI-E x1 desktop wifi card running on an x64
>> Gentoo (using linux kernel 2.6.25). My experience with the new HAL
>> 0.10.5.6 branch is that it works great for a while, but it eventually
>> "dies" after several hours, sometimes working for up to a couple days
>> (maybe it is related to the amount of traffic?). The rest of my other
>> wifi devices on the network are not disconnected, so it seems to be
>> isolated to this machine.
>>
>> When it "dies", I get this error in my syslog repeatedly:
>
> Please, don't rely on syslog for kernel messages.  Use dmesg, which
> takes messages from the kernel and doesn't omit any debug information.
>
>> NETDEV WATCHDOG: wifi0: transmit timed out

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the tip. This very same message also appears in dmesg, and
there is nothing notable before or after it in dmesg.

>From my syslog I can see that when this happens, first wpa_cli reports
"interface wlan0 DISCONNECTED" which is followed by all of my other
network services being killed. After that there is no functional link
to my access point until I removed and modprobe madwifi modules again.
wpa_cli tries to reconnect to the AP a few times but eventually stops
trying after several failed attempts.

> What mode are you using?  What's the message before that?  Maybe you
> have a stuck beacon problem?  Search for "transmit timed out" on
> madwifi.org - there are some tickets mentioning it.

iwconfig says mode is "Managed" (I don't know if this is what you
meant). I'm using wpa_supplicant 0.5.10 and making a 802.11g WPA2-PSK
connection to DD-WRT access point using Atheros AR5312 chipset.
Channel is "Auto".

I searched the tickets but did not see anything that seemed the same
-- however, I am no wireless expert at all so many of the
conversations are beyond my understanding.

I'm reading about the Stuck Beacon Problem on the wiki, it seems to be
a possibility. I'm going to follow the directions to debug the problem
some more and hope I can find some clues.

Thank you again for your for help!

Paul

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Madwifi-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/madwifi-users