Quantcast

Fast channel switching

lorenzo863
Hi guys.
I'm an italian student and this is the first time I use madwifi drivers.
My intention is to add, to the trunk version of the driver, a function that allow to opportunely switch the channel if the level of noise is too high, (beyond a certain threshold).
Do you think it could be possible?
(If yes) Do it without resetting the hardware?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Lorenzo

Re: Fast channel switching

Brian Prodoehl-2
I would strongly suggest doing your work with ath5k or ath9k.  The level of community help you'll get with those drivers will be much higher.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM, lorenzo863 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys.
I'm an italian student and this is the first time I use madwifi drivers.
My intention is to add, to the trunk version of the driver, a function that
allow to opportunely switch the channel if the level of noise is too high,
(beyond a certain threshold).
Do you think it could be possible?
(If yes) Do it without resetting the hardware?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Lorenzo

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain Connectify confidential or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Re: Fast channel switching

Wright, Brett
Hi Lorenzo,

You may want to consider modifying mac80211 and/or ath5k/ath9k as
madwifi is effectively dead.

As for what you want to do, I think the Atheros hardware effectively has
to be reset upon channel change, but it is very quick. You might want to
consider some other metrics other than just channel noise, as in real
world situations the type of interference that you will encounter will
not necessarily have any impact on the channel noise level. Channel
utilization would be a better metric in my opinion. This would include
the amount of time the channel is busy to CCA (clear channel assessment)
and receive. The newer mac80211 and ath drivers support access to this
information.

Brett

Re: Fast channel switching

lorenzo863
First of all, thank you for your replies.

>>You may want to consider modifying mac80211 and/or ath5k/ath9k as
    madwifi is effectively dead

I have partially implemented TDMA on madwifi: do you think it could be difficult to implement on ath5k?
The problem is that I have not enough time to spend to study how ath5k works.

 >>Channel utilization would be a better metric in my opinion.

Is it impossible to access to this information by using Madwifi drivers? Also with the trunked version?

Regards,

Lorenzo