Quantcast

Atheros AR5416/AR5008 on other platforms than x86?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Atheros AR5416/AR5008 on other platforms than x86?

Frank Bormann
Hi!

I'm trying to get a WiFi card (Mini PCI) based on Atheros AR5416/AR5008 to
work on a XScale IXP platform. The WiFi card initializes fine on a x86_32
machine and I can also successfully scan for APs. However, on the XScale
platform all I get from the MadWifi driver is "MadWifi: unable to attach
hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL status 13)". On the XScale
platform I'm using a different HAL of course (xscale-be-elf.hal.o.uu) as
compared to the x86_32 machine (i386-elf.hal.o.uu).

Now, I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there is just no
support yet for the AR5416/AR5008 chipset in the XScale version of the HAL.

I'm using svn trunk revision 3756.

TIA,
Frank


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Madwifi-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/madwifi-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Atheros AR5416/AR5008 on other platforms than x86?

Pavel Roskin
On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 11:27 +0200, Frank Bormann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to get a WiFi card (Mini PCI) based on Atheros AR5416/AR5008 to
> work on a XScale IXP platform. The WiFi card initializes fine on a x86_32
> machine and I can also successfully scan for APs. However, on the XScale
> platform all I get from the MadWifi driver is "MadWifi: unable to attach
> hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported' (HAL status 13)". On the XScale
> platform I'm using a different HAL of course (xscale-be-elf.hal.o.uu) as
> compared to the x86_32 machine (i386-elf.hal.o.uu).
>
> Now, I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there is just no
> support yet for the AR5416/AR5008 chipset in the XScale version of the HAL.
>
> I'm using svn trunk revision 3756.

It looks like a HAL bug to me.  You may want to try the branch with the
latest HAL:

svn co https://svn.madwifi.org/madwifi/branches/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Madwifi-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/madwifi-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Atheros AR5416/AR5008 on other platforms than x86?

Frank Bormann
Pavel Roskin wrote:
>
> It looks like a HAL bug to me.  You may want to try the branch with the
> latest HAL:
>
> svn co https://svn.madwifi.org/madwifi/branches/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, no luck with hal-0.10.5.6 either.
Still getting the same error message.

Regards,
Frank

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Madwifi-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/madwifi-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Atheros AR5416/AR5008 on other platforms than x86?

Pavel Roskin
Quoting Frank Bormann <[hidden email]>:

> Pavel Roskin wrote:
>>
>> It looks like a HAL bug to me.  You may want to try the branch with the
>> latest HAL:
>>
>> svn co https://svn.madwifi.org/madwifi/branches/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6
>
> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, no luck with hal-0.10.5.6 either.
> Still getting the same error message.

First of all, MadWifi cannot make cards recover after HAL errors.  
Please reboot after HAL errors.

There is one suspect.  It's a long shot, be we ran out of the easy  
stuff.  Look at ath_hal/ah_os.h.  You'll find this macro:

# define is_reg_le(__reg) ((0x4000 <= (__reg) && (__reg) < 0x5000) || \
                            (0x7000 <= (__reg) && (__reg) < 0x8000))

Try replacing it with this:

# define is_reg_le(__reg) (0x4000 <= (__reg) && (__reg) < 0x5000)

It that doesn't work, try this:

# define is_reg_le(__reg) 0

That would make difference for big endian machines only.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Madwifi-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/madwifi-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Atheros AR5416/AR5008 on other platforms than x86?

Frank Bormann
Pavel Roskin wrote:

>
> There is one suspect.  It's a long shot, be we ran out of the easy
> stuff.  Look at ath_hal/ah_os.h.  You'll find this macro:
>
> # define is_reg_le(__reg) ((0x4000 <= (__reg) && (__reg) < 0x5000) || \
>                            (0x7000 <= (__reg) && (__reg) < 0x8000))
>
> Try replacing it with this:
>
> # define is_reg_le(__reg) (0x4000 <= (__reg) && (__reg) < 0x5000)
>
> It that doesn't work, try this:
>
> # define is_reg_le(__reg) 0
>
> That would make difference for big endian machines only.

Indeed, there is a difference and it applies to the big endian machine only
just as you predicted. I'm now getting "MadWifi: unable to attach hardware:
'Hardware didn't respond as expected' (HAL status 3)". Behaviour is the
same with either one of the patches you suggested.

Regards,
Frank

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Madwifi-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/madwifi-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Atheros AR5416/AR5008 on other platforms than x86?

Pavel Roskin
On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 17:22 +0200, Frank Bormann wrote:

> Indeed, there is a difference and it applies to the big endian machine only
> just as you predicted. I'm now getting "MadWifi: unable to attach hardware:
> 'Hardware didn't respond as expected' (HAL status 3)". Behaviour is the
> same with either one of the patches you suggested.

Then you must be dealing with a genuine HAL bug.  I'm afraid it could
only be worked around by analyzing the register accesses and
substituting a different value when some hardware ID is requested.
That's a lot of work.  Chances are that older cards will work without
such trouble.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards: VOTE NOW!
Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open source project,
along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for chronic lameness
and boredom. Vote Now at http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08
_______________________________________________
Madwifi-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/madwifi-users
Loading...