Quantcast

About the statistics

Érico Porto
Hello,

I want to look at my channel from my mac for an amount of time X and measure the idle time Y, so I can use the ratio Y/X to do some maths... Do you guys know an easy way of doing this in a madwifi router? I have full ssh access.

I tried looking at the /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ath_pci/0000:00:11.0/net:ath0/statistics , but even though I was seeing other networks at the same channel I was - with iwlist ath0 scan - I was at 0 in all rx statistics... Perhaps I need to make the interface transparent in some way.

thanks

Érico V. Porto

Re: About the statistics

Wright, Brett

Hi,

I do not think there is an easy way to do this without modifying madwifi.

The atheros chips have some profile count registers that do exactly what you want – basically the number of clock cycles that the channel is busy for, etc.

I think that ath5k may expose these registers for easy access. Alternatively you could modify madwifi – have a search on the following:

#define                AR_RCCNT          0x80f4   /* Profile count, receive clear */

#define                AR_CCCNT          0x80f8   /* Profile count, cycle counter */

Also, if you goggle these you should find the relevant discussions on the ath5k lists.

Hope this is of some help…

Brett

Quoting Érico Porto <[hidden email]>:

> I believe that if I could understand how the Automate Channel Selection gets
> it's statistics, I would be able to know if mu channel is iddle or not, and
> also measure that amount of time, any help or documentation on that?

Automatic Channel Selection is a feature that is being introduced in
the mainline Linux kernel.  It's is not available in MadWifi and is
not expected to be available.

>> Any help on how to use the NL80211_CMD_GET_SURVEY would be helpful! Think
>> this will get me the data I am looking for.

MadWifi doesn't support nl80211.

Re: About the statistics

Érico Porto
Ok. I'm using the AR5213 chip here, and googling it got me the datasheet - it's written confidential in it, so I'm not posting the link here, because and don't know if doing so would be illegal.

Anyway, the addresses 0x80f4, and 0x80f8 were right, and also I've found some other interesting registers.

What code should I write to read one of these registers?

Érico V. Porto

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Pavel Roskin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quoting Érico Porto <[hidden email]>:

I believe that if I could understand how the Automate Channel Selection gets
it's statistics, I would be able to know if mu channel is iddle or not, and
also measure that amount of time, any help or documentation on that?

Automatic Channel Selection is a feature that is being introduced in the mainline Linux kernel.  It's is not available in MadWifi and is not expected to be available.

Any help on how to use the NL80211_CMD_GET_SURVEY would be helpful! Think
this will get me the data I am looking for.

MadWifi doesn't support nl80211.

Re: About the statistics

Pavel Roskin
On 08/02/2011 10:18 AM, Érico Porto wrote:
> I mean, what I need to do, to use the REG_READ() command?

There are more than enough examples of OS_REG_READ() in the code.  The
problem is not with reading the registers.  The problems is with
communication with the modern userspace tools.  MadWifi is not equipped
for that.

If you want to work on ath5k, you are in a wrong list.  If you want to
write that code in MadWifi, you are on your own.