802.11s

David Gascón
Hi all!
with the recently 802.11s module added to the kernel now comes new time of
research and efforts.
The protocol uses layer 2 to create all the radio metrics and the state
and quality of the nodes in the network. On the layer 3 the HWMP
protocol (based on RM-AODV) will be the one used to keep the metrics and
WLAN information updated from the MAC layer.
The main aim comes when seeing if features like  multi
frequency and high accurate radio metrics will be ready in the drivers. (It is gonna be a hard way,
however it is just a matter of time to get it working).

I will start testing it with madwifi as soon as I can. If any of you are going to
start with it too just tell me to join efforts.

regards.

David.

--
Proyectos    : http://www.laotracara.com

Re: 802.11s

Bruno Randolf
David Gascón wrote:

> Hi all!
> with the recently 802.11s module added to the kernel now comes new time of
> research and efforts.
> The protocol uses layer 2 to create all the radio metrics and the state
> and quality of the nodes in the network. On the layer 3 the HWMP
> protocol (based on RM-AODV) will be the one used to keep the metrics and
> WLAN information updated from the MAC layer.
> The main aim comes when seeing if features like  multi
> frequency and high accurate radio metrics will be ready in the drivers.
> (It is gonna be a hard way, however it is just a matter of time to get it
> working).
>
> I will start testing it with madwifi as soon as I can. If any of you are
> going to start with it too just tell me to join efforts.

hi!

it's not very likely that this will work with madwifi because madwifi uses
it's own 802.11 stack (based on net80211 from freebsd) and 802.11s is
implemented in the linux kernel mac80211 stack. ath5k is the in-kernel
driver for atheros hardware and uses mac80211, so it can benefit from the
work done for 802.11s. there is some code missing to enable 11s in ath5k
though, but it should be quite trivial to add suppport.

bruno

Re: 802.11s

David Gascón

>  ath5k is the in-kernel
> driver for atheros hardware and uses mac80211, so it can benefit from the
> work done for 802.11s.
yeap.
and this is the same policy to get MIMO 802.11n  and roaming 802.11r
working out of proprietary protocols in the future.